It is a hybrid of the Jumping Bars and Pipe Slider (or referred on American Ninja Warrior as a horizontal version of the Salmon Ladder), where the competitor must negotiate down a track by jumping from one rung to another while holding onto a pipe.
There are five rungs, with each jump approximately 11 feet from one to the next.
This version did not prove to be too difficult, only eliminating 2 competitors out of the 10 who attempted it that day.
For SASUKE 33, the obstacle directly led into the Sidewinder R without any rests, while also having a wire installed to secure the obstacle to an upper track much like the Pipe Slider, so that competitors would not drag the bar down with them if they failed.
While no one failed the transition between obstacles, the obstacle itself eliminated most of the competitors who attempted the Third Stage, including SASUKE champion Morimoto Yūsuke (who completed the obstacle on USA vs. The World and USA vs. The World II). Only Drew Drechsel managed to clear the obstacle.
American Ninja Warrior Appearances
The Flying Bar was placed as the final obstacle in Stage Three on American Ninja Warrior 4, but it was unattempted. On American Ninja Warrior 5, it was attempted for the first time by Brian Arnold, but wasn't able to complete it. It reappeared on American Ninja Warrior 6, but was unattempted again. On American Ninja Warrior 7, Isaac Caldiero became the first to complete it on regular season, Geoff Britten became the second, while Ian Dory couldn't get past it. On American Ninja Warrior 8, it was unattempted once again, and so on American Ninja Warrior 9.
Despite only three competitors so far to complete this obstacle on American Ninja Warrior's regular season, more competitors completed it on American Ninja Warrior's international tournament.
- On USA vs. Japan, two competitors (Matachi Ryo and Brian Arnold) reached this obstacle. However, both of them failed to complete it.
- On USA vs. The World, five competitors (Morimoto Yusuke, Stefano Ghisolfi, Matachi Ryo, Sean McColl, and Brian Arnold) reached this obstacle, and four of them (except Sean McColl) completed it (with Morimoto Yusuke becoming the first to do it).
- On USA vs. The World 2, five competitors (Ian Dory, Stefano Ghisolfi, Morimoto Yusuke, Sean McColl, and Isaac Caldiero) reached this obstacle, and three of them (except Ian Dory and Stefano Ghisolfi) completed it.
- On USA vs. The World 3, only two competitors (Josh Levin and Drew Drechsel) reached this obstacle, and both of them completed it.
Competitors' Success Rate
- All results based on the TBS/NBC broadcast and external information found
American Ninja Warrior
|USA vs. Japan||0||3||0%|
|USA vs. The World||4||5||80%|
|USA vs. The World 2||3||5||60%|
|USA vs. The World 3||2||2||100%|